03 September 2006

Nothing but love for Andre

Andre Agassi played his last professional tennis match today. He’s an interesting chapter in my interaction with sports figures, because he’s the only one that I used to passionately hate, but now completely love. How did it happen? After much self scrutiny and analysis, I can only conclude that it must have been the hair. He used to have that nasty, nasty mullet. Going bald was definitely the best thing that happened to that guy. But I kid—it was also his transformation from cocky asshole to gracious sportsman.

I also marvel at the fact that the dude is only 36—yes, I wrote only, even though he’s an athlete, which means that he’s about 100 in regular human years—and his back is hopelessly screwed up. I guess I should be glad that the fates didn’t see fit to make me a professional athlete. I’ll still be playing tennis when I’m 60, while Andre is going to have to hang up that oversized racket unless they invent the bionic spine. That made it all the sweeter when he managed to beat Baghdatis on Thursday night. Too bad he couldn’t survive today, he would have had a shot at Roddick!

Anyway, I hereby dedicate my next double-handed backhand to the man, Andre. I hope he recovers enough to play again someday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't Andre sleep with Barbara Streisand for a while? Can you think of a more unlikely couple?

Danielle said...

My uncle Chris the Crazed Sports Fan is totally in love with Agassi, in a homosocial rather than homosexual way. Although the other day when he made us watch a tape of the Bahdatis match, he unwittingly tipped over the edge into sexy man-love by discussing Andre's 'piercing eyes'. I thought I would explode in my attempt not to laugh.

Snorklewacker said...

TJ, you leave that nasty gossiping off my page of Andre-Love ;)

And why don't I dig Federer? I don't know, was anybody cheering for Deep Blue to beat Kasparov? It's like Commander Data out there playing tennis... okay, these analogies aren't helping make my case, are they. I'm very fickle when it comes to cheering athletes, so my dislike for him isn't particularly unique. Danielle, you explain, it's like how I hate virtually all movies. :) It all comes down to me being cranky until forced to feel otherwise, I think. Either that, or the fact that his ruthless efficiency gets tiring after a while.

Now, Raoul, come in here and explain why you hate Roddick!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. I've been called out by name! Damn! :)

I'm not going to go near that with a 10 foot pole. Not without some of that blueberry booze or somesuch bribe. ;)

On to Federer. I agree with Anand (at least I'm assuming that's you up there, Anand ;). The man's a genius. The only reason I can think of not to like him is that he endorses Nike. ;)
--
raoul

Snorklewacker said...

Hey man, you can have some of that blueberry beer anytime, just come over and help yourself to the fridge. :D

Anonymous said...

Haha. Better yet, why don't you bring some when you guys fly over here. ;)