14 September 2006

Ten years of bliss

Just like the date-stamp says, it’s September 14, which means it’s the tenth wedding anniversary for Steve and me. It’s a standard assumption that getting married changes things, but for me I don’t think it really changed anything. Steve was my best friend and the most important person in my life before the big day, and he has been the same ever since. Maybe getting married actually changed everyone around us, since the government and the law and the people around us had to acknowledge what I had already known.

Anyway, that day back in 1996 was a great one. A fun party, perfect weather, my stepbrother-in-law taking my sister’s dare to roll all the way down the grassy hill outside the reception site. And of course, the magisterial trashing of one of the crappiest cars I ever drove. I’m still grateful to everyone who took pictures, especially Laura who captured the best one of all, the mobster shot (email me if you want to see the pic).

By the way, silly string harms the finish on auto paint. In case you ever need to know.

I love you, Swami!

7 comments:

Danielle said...

Congratulations!

(Also: ten years? How old were you when you got married - two?)

Anonymous said...

My wife and I have also had ten years of bliss. We've been married sixteen years.
;-)

Sashe said...

Wow! 10 years - congrats! Marika, beautifully written (as always). Steve, nice hair! :)

Snorklewacker said...

Danielle: Har har!
TJ: Har har har!
Sashe: Thanks, man! You flatterer, you. And hey, lay off Steve's hair--that's the guy I married, remember. :)

Anonymous said...

Belated wishes! Ten is a nice round number. Ummm... where was I ten years ago?

Frantix

Snorklewacker said...

Frantix -
With your recent life upheavals, I bet you don't remember where you were ten minutes ago! ;)

Anonymous said...

Belated congrats to both of you. The 14th was also my sister's 40th birthday!