12 December 2006

Number nine, number nine

My oldest nephew turned nine years old yesterday. Nine! Hell, I vividly remember being nine.


  • My oldest sister went to college (I drove down with my parents to move her into the dorm)

  • I was in fourth grade, which was when I met my first real best friend

  • My 27-year-old (!) somewhat hippie teacher read The Hobbit to us in class

  • I learned long division—I remember being so crushed when I found out remainders were just a crutch we’d have to learn to live without

  • I procrastinated so long on my science project, which was to build a model of the solar system, that I ended up with one of the crappiest ones in the class

  • One of my classmates would solve your Rubik’s Cube for a price (geek hustler!)


The week of my ninth birthday, the #1 pop song was “Centerfold” by J. Geils Band, and E.T. came out three months later (I never saw it, though, can you believe it!). And I should mention that Elvis Costello’s Imperial Bedroom also came out that summer, although I didn’t become hip enough to notice that one until around eight years later.

Nine! So old, so young. Freaky to think about it.

No comments: