05 February 2007

Home is anywhere: Week 1 recap

Okay, Week 1 has ended and here’s the score so far. Places visited: 7; places with potential: 0. The number of horror stories is sadly very small, although I did see one Pepto-pink bathroom and one place that was so 1980s, I swear I saw Sheena Easton in the living room wearing those huge geometric earrings. The nicest place had had an offer on it within the previous half hour, so hopes were deflated before they’d even had a chance to rise. Plus, that one had a tang of Wretched Excess, what with the special wine refrigerator in the kitchen. I don’t think I could in good conscience keep my wine at 54F and whatever percent humidity while children are eating tree bark in Africa. And so the search continues. There are two or three more prospects that didn’t hold open houses; hopefully we can check them out sometime this week.

Speaking of Sheena Easton, I still remember her guest starring on Miami Vice. The love of Crockett’s life, cruelly struck down before her time. I think we can all learn a lesson from that tragic tale: make sure to upgrade to the bulletproof shoulder pads.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.newenglandmoves.com/Listings/SingleFamily_Non_NewEnglandMoves.htm?id=1010874844

This place has a pool! My kids love to swim. We'll bring soda and chips when we visit. And, the lawn is lovely, so you can have lots of fun watching it deteriorate under your care. :-)
I won't drive you to Cambridge, but you're welcome to join me on the commuter rail. In fact, you can bike to the commuter rail station for 9 months per year. There's a bike rack at the station. I know how you love to ride. Are you getting interested?

Snorklewacker said...

I must restate my request to you: forget driving me to Cambridge, I need you to help out on the mortgage! Yeouch!

Anonymous said...

Want me to look for a place *without* a pool? ;-)
Find a financial advisor that you trust and figure out what you can afford to spend. Good luck.