02 February 2007

Home is anywhere you hang your clogs

In the midst of the chaotic and angst-filled move at work (D-Day is coming up fast, Feb. 23!) it now becomes apparent that the once-hypothetical plan to find a pad with more space is coalescing into reality. The main reason for wanting to buy a new place? Well, there’s the rational, and the emotional. Rational is that it would be very nice to have a third bedroom, for hosting all our nonexistent guests that come to visit, or perhaps for stashing all the guitars and the keyboard and amps and other music-related stuff. Rational is that it would be very, very nice to have more than one bathroom. Rational is that now that prices are sliding, why not upgrade into Swankitude, Mark II. And that’s all good in theory, but it’s the emotional that has me practically running out the door of the place I’ve been happily living in for the last 2.5 years: the upstairs neighbors.

I can even narrow it down further: the female upstairs neighbor. Sure, she seems like a person of normal weight and height, and in possession of the normal amount of empathy toward fellow humans, but in reality she stomps around like a drunken overweight moose at a clog dance. And it’s back and forth, back and forth, all the damn time, starting at a ridiculously early time of day.

(I’ve been doing my best not to mention the 1-year-old toddler, by the way, who is far too young to do anything but the Frankenstein Walk and certainly can’t be blamed for crashing to the floor and/or dropping things at unpredictable moments. Not that it ain’t annoying.)

I can blame the unparalleled ruckus directly on Ms. Clog-Dancing Moose (CDM) quite easily, because last summer she was gone for three months and it was absolute bliss. Mr. Moose, despite being not a small guy, walked around more like Felt-Slipper-Wearing Mouse—and I would also like to point out that he is eminently considerate in general, always apologizing after flooding the shared basement or flooding our bathroom or flooding the basement a second time. Meanwhile, the swami went up there last week to beg for a minor concession, that the clog dancing be moved to a room other than the one above our bedroom in the early mornings, and found out that CDM is not only heavy-footed, but also bereft of all empathy and conscience.

So we’re starting to look at the listings and got in touch with the Realtor (tm) that helped us buy last time. It looks like there is a lot of good stuff out there, and hopefully it’s not the usual hyperbole of exuberant and semi-unscrupulous selling agents making shit up. I’ll try to provide updates as things happen, and hopefully will have some good horror stories regarding other people’s decorating ideas (though it will be hard to top the Cheetah Wallpaper Bathroom of 2001).

Wish me luck, fair readers, for this way lies madness!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you know why we live in the burbs. :)

Maybe you could gift her those soft slippers. Or if you're in a spending mood, I found a website for you:

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/soundproofing_tips/html/noisy_neighbors.htm

Sashe said...

So seriously, what exactly was she doing that could possibly cause that much noise? Oh and when you move, don't forget to call me over to help :) oh and you have to call that guy who helped you move last time, the one who stacked your furniture in the moving truck like it was a jigsaw puzzle - he rules!

Anonymous said...

There are lots of homes available in the town where I live. I'd be happy to have you as a neighbor.
If I find a house for you, will you mow my lawn for a year?

Snorklewacker said...

Frantix: you know, I visited that website myself! But I figure it's easier to flee the neighbors than rip up the ceilings. I just hope they're not home upstairs when we hold open houses.

Sashe: Ah yes, John the Amazing Moving Machine! I remember him well. And yeah, you ought to come visit just to help us move! Hey, we'll have a place for you to stay. :D As for what it is she does, she just stomps everywhere she walks. I guess she hits the ground with her heels first or something. I tried to replicate it myself, but it makes my shins ache...

TJ: Dude! If you saw the state of my current lawn, you would not allow me near yours. But more important, if you find me a house, will you drive me to Cambridge every morning?