03 June 2007

A turkey runs through it

Here's an action shot of the fabled Kendall Square wild turkey, shot by the Swami with his Palm Pilot (hence a bit of blurriness, sorry). I’ve never seen the turkey in person, so I was a complete skeptic about his existence until presented with this photographic evidence. The turkey’s been around for a couple of years at least, judging from links off Google like this one and this one. Given the total lack of she-turkeys in the area, dude’s got a pretty dull existence. But he’s apparently still pretty feisty, gobbling at people if they get too close. A typical unfriendly New Englander. I still agree with Ben Franklin, though, how cool would it be to have the wild turkey as the national symbol?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people prefer their Wild Turkey in a bottle.
Kidding aside, wild turkeys are pretty common in MA. We have seen flocks in my town on several occasions.
They are as nasty as Canadian geese.
There's a noisy cardinal who seems to enjoy making a lot of noise around 5:30 a.m. on weekends by my house.
Mean turkeys, nasty geese, noisy cardinals...
I'm cancelling my membership to the Audobon Society.

Snorklewacker said...

I tell ya, the best bird is one between two slices of bread... well, I only partly mean that. The great blue heron that chills out in the Charles up by Watertown is nothing but cool. It helps that herons don't seem to make much noise.