27 July 2007

Sporting news

Well, I owe everybody a long account of my Vermont vacation (in one word: excellent), but then I got caught up in watching the Tour de France, and then I got caught up in the ridiculous doping scandals that have marred said Tour, and as a result you poor souls out there haven’t heard from me in a while. I’ll try to get to the Vermont recap this weekend, although I ain’t guaranteeing anything. Also, the Swami and I signed up for a doubles tennis league, and our first match is tomorrow morning. Wish me luck—I love playing doubles, but haven’t done it in ages, and I also have a tendency to lock up with anxiety in pressure situations on the court. So I don’t expect anything but a debacle; hopefully I’ll be proved wrong. (And yes, if I just stopped being so competitive it wouldn’t be a big deal, but to that I say right, as if.)

Tune in again soon. At least I can say with confidence that there will be no doping scandals in the tennis league...right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't play dumb, Marika. One look at Steve's massive guns reveals that he's been on the juice for years.

Who wins when you and Steve play singles? Which one of you will play on the deuce side?

Snorklewacker said...

I said there'd be no scandals, not that there would be no doping. ;) (Here I'm counting Gatorade and Kashi cereal as performance-enhancing substances.)

As for singles, we're pretty evenly matched. I'm not sure how we'll decide on which side to play. I know you can change after a set, so if there's disaster one way, we can just try the other way. I've got a pretty killer backhand, so maybe I'll play ad side first.

The only flaw in the game plan is that the match is at 9:30 - painfully early for a Saturday!