02 August 2007

Tour de Vermont

At last, a travelogue from our recent trip to Vermont! It was a four-day cycling tour, about 25 miles a day, through some of the most ridiculously hilly terrain I’ve ever ridden. We stayed at two different inns, one nice, the other extra-swanky, and had breakfast and dinner included.

So the day’s routine was: crawl out of bed at 7 a.m., breakfast at 8, start cycling at 9, a sandwich in a tiny Vermont town for lunch, cycle until about 2, lengthy shower and lengthier nap, dinner around 7, collapse in bed and fall asleep around 9:30. It was like being in the bike army, but in a good way—no uniforms or discipline. Also, there was the all-important support van. Driven by one of our two guides, you could flag it down at any time for food or snacks or a rescue. It also came in handy when I bought a quart of Grade B maple syrup from Plummer’s, since I wasn’t about to carry that on my back for the rest of the day. (Speaking of tiny towns, this next photo shows the actual, official U.S. Post Office in Jamaica, Vermont.)

Now for some details. You might be aware that Vermont is kind of hilly; in fact, one might call it downright full of mountains. And just about every day there was a hill of such staggering proportion, with a grade approaching 6 or 7%, that I did end up walking some of the way in lieu of feeling my heart explode. But then on the other side of most of them, there would be a descent for the record books: my max speed was clocked more than once at over 39 mph, which is definitely the fastest I’ve ever traveled on a bike.

The scenery was fantastic: totally bucolic, lots of chattering streams, mountain peaks and valleys, covered bridges, cows, cute little towns with nothing in them except one country store (where you could always get potato chips, the most essential cycling food there is). Not one whisker of cell phone service. And I only realized after we got back that I didn’t see a traffic light the entire time we were there. Another thing which I didn’t know beforehand is that most of the secondary roads there are still unpaved, which made for some seriously hairy moments on my road bike. There was one stretch that was so unbelievably muddy that we had to take the van for a couple of miles because it was just too dicey. Amazingly, I did remain upright the entire tour.

Before we went, I was completely unsure of whether I’d be able to take four straight days of riding, but it turned out to be just right. The third day I was pretty sore in the morning, but the itinerary centered around a three-mile hike to see this fabulous waterfall. And then on day four, I felt great. I think maybe my muscles just gave up complaining when they realized I wasn’t going to give them a break.

All told I logged over 100 miles in four days, improved my mad skillz at climbing, descending, and off-roading, and purged all thoughts of my mundane life. And in a true stroke of fortune, it never rained on us during a ride. I would definitely do it again. How soon can I take another vacation?

P.S. See more pics at my Flickr page.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

39 mph+???????? Should I be afraid for you? Slow down, lady!

Love those pics.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. But, after checking out the following web site, I'm afraid of the sides of New England roads.
www.poison-ivy.org
Between poison ivy, west nile virus, and lyme disease I'm considering spending the remainder of the summer indoors.

Danielle said...

That sounds like a perfect holiday... apart from all the biking! Jeez! :)

Snorklewacker said...

Frantix: It's true, 39 mph doesn't seem too fast in a car, but it's DAMN INSANE on a bike!
(Happy belated birthday, btw - I missed it on Sunday, didn't I??)

TJ: I think you already swore you'd never go outside again, even before the poison ivy development. (p.s. I did not look at the "Skin Rash Hall of Fame" - that is seriously fucked up.

D: You should come too, you can just ride in the van and laugh at us crazies panting up the hills. The food was awesome, esp. the "Belgian Chocolate Dome with Vanilla-Bay Creme Anglaise" at inn number two. Drooool.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. :)

Perfectly okay that you missed it.. I'm happy to forget that I'm a year older.