08 February 2008

Speechless

Here’s what Mitt Romney said yesterday when he dropped out of the presidential race:

I disagree with Senator McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Osama bin Laden, and on eliminating al-Qaeda and terror. If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.
What a tool. What a huge tool. Yeah, that’s not exactly reasoned political debate on my part, but the implication that voting for a Democrat is equivalent to “surrendering to terror” is so beyond batshit crazy that it’s hard to respond in a rational manner. It’s this kind of laughable rhetoric that makes me wonder how anyone takes these people seriously. (Although not enough people considered Romney worth taking seriously, so maybe that’s something.) The fearmongering worked in 2004, but since then it has seemed as though Americans were finally getting a clue regarding the current administration’s corrupt mismanagement. I can only hope that Romney chose his words less for their general impact and more as a coded message to the conservative base that he’s still willing to drink the crazy juice. Damn, what a freak show American politics is.

P.S. I’m also irritated that text after my blockquotes is always formatted all nasty. What gives?!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I loved Jon Stewart's response to that speech: 'What am I thinking? Hmmm... oh yeah... FUCK YOU!'

Anonymous said...

Nothing that Romney says surprises me. He strikes me as something out of a science fiction novel. A plastic puppet who will say or do whatever gets him to his desired goal. I expect to see him run again in 4 years, and (sadly) I expect him to have more success then.
I don't see the Republicans having much of a chance this year. Whether it is Hillary or Barack, I see the Democrats in a landslide.

Snorklewacker said...

Well, I hope you're right, TJ. When polls test the Clinton-McCain faceoff, it doesn't look landslidey enough for me. Of course, maybe that's moot with the recent Obama momentum.

Romney=tool, that much is clear.