03 January 2011

A new resolution

Now that we’ve stepped into 2011, it’s time to engage in a bit of self-reflection. And what better venue for that than my poor neglected blog?

You might think that my resolution is to post here more often, and that certainly has crossed my mind. But on the other hand, I’m thinking that that will be an secondary effect as I tackle my real resolution: in 2011 I plan to start marshaling my resources to figure out how the heck to get out of this crazy job of mine.

Why change jobs? I can’t argue with the hours I have, the PTO, the proximity to tennis, and the general lack of pressure to work too hard, but at the same time it seems to be slowly crushing my soul like a giant drill press carefully squeezing a lone grape. So there are drawbacks to staying here. Obviously there’s something beautiful about not having to do much of anything at work if I don’t feel like it, but on the other hand, after a certain quantity of goofing off I start to wonder whether I can respect myself. It’s a fine line, ha.

So what do I plan to do? Well, note how vague and weaselly the wording of my resolution is. I resolve to start thinking about how to plan to do something. The truth is that I don’t have formal training in very many practical areas. The publishing world has done nothing but contract violently in the last few years, so I wonder whether I’d be able to find anyplace else to do work that’s similar to what I do now. And if I throw open the gates to all possibilities, then I’m kind of mystified as to what I could do. So 2011 is going to be all about exploration and all that parachute-color crap. In the meantime, I’ll try not to notice how many ways my current workplace annoys me. Can I do it? Maybe I can at least try, and report back here on my progress.

3 comments:

Sashe said...

Great to see you writing again! Please share your explorations and ponderings this year with us blog-readers :)

Snorklewacker said...

Hey Sashe, so good to hear from you. I think at this point, it might be "reader" instead of "readers" when it comes to my poor neglected blog. :)

Danielle said...

I just want to note, for the record, that there is a lot to be said for a job which leaves you alone and doesn't require you to do very much. But I have basically no work ethic, so... :)