01 November 2006

For once, the Luddites are right

I’ve had my head down for the last few days trying to keep the workload at bay, but I thought I’d pop in long enough to comment that America is doomed. Of course I’m talking about electronic voting machines, which are not even a good idea in theory (does no one see the crucial need for an actual paper trail?) and a total nightmare in practice. I direct you to Ars Technica and Time magazine for hair-raising discussion.

I also have been gritting my teeth and scrunching my eyes shut over all the hoopla about the Republicans supposedly losing their grip on power—not because I wouldn’t want to see it happen, but because indulging in any exuberance before the actual results come in is, well, irrational. It’ll be bad enough if the supposed rout doesn’t happen, I don’t want to compound the pain by feeling giddy and expectant for this next week. Would anyone care to join me in this soundproof room?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be completely rational and say that the Republican party is going to get its a$$ kicked so bad that Rumsfeld will make a career-switch to performing on SNL.

It is so silent here.

Frantix

Anonymous said...

And.. how was The Departed?

Snorklewacker said...

I've been debating whether to have a whole post reviewing it... watch this space. Right now I'm trying to find a slot in my busy schedule to see The Prestige, argh!